Friday, July 29, 2005

Sabotage of Manhattanville Peace

Subject: Fwd: Re: Sabotage of Manhattanville Peace
Date: 7/29/2005 2:31:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: whitmananne@yahoo.com
To: reysmontj@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)


Jordi, I thought it was nice that this person noticed the hostility toward the Manhattanville community. I am not popular with some at Columbia because I have spoken up about their ugly behavior toward us. Anne

Note: forwarded message attached.


Anne Z. Whitman, President
Hudson North American
3229 Broadway, New York, New York 10027
Tel: 212-678-4862 Fax: 212-678-4617
Mobile: 917-705-2922
www.moving-storage.com



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:23:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Anne Z. Whitman"
Subject: Re: Sabotage of Manhattanville Peace
To: Makhil Medina

Dear Makhil, Thank you for your note to me and my brothers at Despatch. There are many at Columbia who have outright contempt for our community. Columbia pretends to be involved in community planning, but what they are really working toward is community removal. We have worked hard over the years, invested our life savings in Manhattanville and want to be a part of any revitalization of our neighborhood. This is our business home and we plan on staying here. Our historic properties (over 100 years) cannot be duplicated. Thank you for speaking up and supporting us. We welcome Columbia to our neighborhood, but not to bulldoze long time residents and businesses. Thank you again for your concern and support. Anne Zuhusky Whitman

Makhil Medina wrote:

Often I have to go to the Columbia campus to meet someone from work in the "quad" area. At first I thought this didn't mean much, but now it must because the situation about Manhattanville is so tense. Back in the time of late April and the beginning of May this year I saw something unusual and mean going on. One of the best employment companies in Harlem was getting the lime colored flyers ripped off bulletin boards on a regular basis. The person doing this was a young Latina that others identified as Elia Roldan, a Columbia English major student and Barnes and Noble worker. After seeing this happen more than twice I asked a few people if they knew her and what was with taking down the Hudson flyers and not the other storage people. It was crazy like she was stalking the replacements on a daily basis. I tried to be neutral about the whole expansion. Now I'm not. I tell you as a Latino who also has a lovely Eastern wife. I would not lie on my ancestors about what I saw. I am over 60 years old! Would someone do everybody a favor? Let this Elia know that she is making a bad situation worse as far a the community and campus relations go.

The Zuhuskys have been helping Harlem remain stable for many years. She had no right to rip up or remove the Hudson storage signs for any reason. Was she paid by a rival company? Was she doing this on Columbia's behalf? What kind of Columbia student would do this? The Manhattanville tension is there and doesn't need instigators to make it worse. When nobody wanted to stay in Harlem, the Zuhuskys did and provided WORK to many in and out of the neighborhood? My own person in facilities working on campus also commented that she was ripping the signs off the bulletin boards here and there like she was obsessed with sabotaging Hudson storage. It is not important whether I come in or the staff person talks to you. We saw what we did and having ties to Harlem and Columbia we didn't like it. Why now? It kept bothering me not to say something on behalf of Harlem's ties with the Zuhuskys. Then I knew it was the same girl when my wife and I went to the bookstore - a short Latina wearing dark-rimmed eyeglasses with her hair pulled back in a short ponytail. The community groups have been told about this prankish nuisance and mean action. This happened so much in the weeks I mentioned that it was not random and had to be intentional to sabotage Hudson storage.


Mackie Medina

cc: Manhattan Community Council #9, Morningside Area Alliance and NYPD Community Council

No comments: